Saturday, February 18, 2006

Introduction

Yesterday I had my first visit with Dr. Liang at the Movement Disorders Clinic at the Parkinson's Institute in Sunnyvale. I was diagnosed with Dystonia (Cervical Dystonia) after 6 months of being treated for tic, mad cow, huntington's disease, anxiety, parkinson's disease and everything under the sun. All misdiagnoses for a gradual loss of control over the movement of my head. When it first started, occasionally my head would move to the left on it's own. During months 3 and 4, my head would shake uncontrollably, as if I was suffering from Parkinson's disease. By the time I went into the Movement Disorders Clinic yesterday, my head was completely stuck turned to the left. Almost 6 months, and I've tried several drugs, at times feeling like a chem-lab, with no luck.

At 27 years of age I've enjoyed moderate happy turns as a performer, a musician, a teacher, a sales guy, an analyst, and an advertiser. In essence, I've built a life on working with people and being in front of people. As the onset of this terrible disorder progressed I was left feeling hopeless and depressed and thought I had lost all of that personal development and all that I enjoyed in life. I was near suicide.

Yesterday, the doctor injected 3 shots of botox into 2 areas of my neck in chemodenervation to stop the twisting. I have no idea if this form of treatment will work but feel more confident that there is treatment out there that will help me. I want my life back and am determined to fight for it. This is my battle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home