Monday, June 04, 2007

incredible things happen

I did something last Monday that I used to think impossible.

I got my haircut by a barber.

It's not that I didn't get my haircut for that 1.5 years of being incredibly sick and disabled, just that I had to kind of force myself to cut my own hair, dystonic movement and all.

On Memorial Day, it was a nice and beautiful day and I thought I deserved to take care of myself a little bit. It was very motivating actually, to sit in that chair and start off slightly worried about it, wondering if the barber noticed, and then minute after minute watch the process happen without pause, and then finally feeling the barber's brush dust off the hair off my shoulders. It had been 2 years.

Yes of course, it was there, reminding me that I wasn't completely healed and probably would never be. Not so much a tic or a shaking storm but more like a tightening muscle, that unintentional pull that only people with movement disorders can feel. For the most part though, I was able to keep it under wraps and found that a person with cervical dystonia could, in fact, sit down long enough for a haircut.

Just need to tackle the stigma of the disease and start working again.. and then soon I will be back on my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home