Tuesday, February 28, 2006

a grain of salt

The doctor increased my mirapex dosage again today to .5 mg. I asked him if he thought I should start getting used to the movement as it is. He said no, he thinks we'll find something to take care of my condition almost completely. I didn't know doctors could make those kinds of promises but I am taking it all with a grain of salt.

We discussed when the twitching and moving happens. As far as I can tell, stress or nervousness doesn't affect it... It just happens when I am focused on doing something or talking to someone. He explained to me that it's not anxiety driven but neurological, it happens when there is a specific brain activity. This means that there probably isn't much I can do in terms of controlling stress to minimize it. This was kind of discouraging. I can't teach myself to better control it.

I noticed today that I still have problems writing. I've always had a hard time signing credit slips when I'm at the doctor. I tried filling out a rebate form today and found it really difficult. This is a problem if I still want to eventually get back to teaching. The twitching doesn't happen so much anymore when I'm using a computer. Go figure.

I was kind of displaced from home on Saturday night so I drove to mountain view (about 20 minutes) to stay with my sister. Luckily, I didn't have an episode where the twitching was out of control. The drive wasn't as difficult or scary as I expected, late at night and early morning had light traffic. I'm debating on going to a friend's birthday dinner on Friday, the drive to Palo Alto would be a longer drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home